Thursday, January 19, 2012

Moo Marriage

I am, for the most part, not a big fan of brass.  While I love shiny (as you well know) for some reason brass does not really speak to me.  Usually I cover it in paint and glitter (see - more shiny).  Then I met this beauty in an auction:
I said "moo" and it was all over.  A somewhat frenzied bidding war ensued (blast you unnamed bidder 1083).  In the end I was victorious.
Of course it didn't come ready to hang.  It was just a brass cow hook plaque.  Cool but in need of something else.  Thought about setting it inside a frame to give it a bit more presence and then inspiration hit (I believe the record will show that the hubs actually came up with the final solution - he certainly did all the work).
Enter one old cigar box lid.  Purchased as part of a box lot at some other auction the box lid hinge was broken.  Couldn't throw it away (seriously peeps, I'm a JUNQUE MAGNET).  Really could not throw it away seeing as it a)came from Cuba (my husband's family is Cuban) and b) was made for the USS New Mexico (NM being one of my most favorite places and currently holds pride of place as where I want to live).
A couple of drilled holes (possibly one drilled in the wrong place...), a couple of brass nuts and bolts (possibly SEVERAL wrong sizes were purchased), and a marriage was made.
I do so love it when a plan comes together!
Linking to:

4 comments:

Sue said...

Well, You know I HAVE to love the New Mexico reference!!! And I like the cow, too. Looks good to me, Carrie. :-)

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Funny, I have the same piece hanging in my kitchen. I love that you added a backing to it. Thanks for linking to the Open House Party. xo, Sherry

Brian GadgetSponge said...

Awesome piece. It looks great on the wall watching over everything.

Shabby Vintage Junk said...

These pics are DIVINE & I LOVE how you've used the draws & mounted them.... Now that's some VERY sexy junque.... :o)