Saturday, August 7, 2010

Friday Finds

It was a very good day on Friday. I have so many things to post, clean, tag, etc. Then I went and got another car load this morning. Must stop...MUST stop... Anyhoo, I wanted to get these up quickly. I think they were my favorites purchased from a lovely lady who was ever so eager to share her stories.
"Do you know what those are?" she asked me as I brought them up to pay. "Well, no but I do know they are super cool!" She and her family lived in Germany from 1970-1974 and brought these back with them. She told me the coolest story about the airport poster. It shows the three runways that Western countries were allowed to use when flying into East Berlin. Deviations from these flight paths were problematic to say the least. "You're taking history home with you" she told me as I left. Awesome!!
The red poster is the Kaiser Wilhem Memorial church
which was bombed in WWII and the spire never rebuilt. I love the graphics but I love the story even more.
The vase is over 2 feet tall in a groovy textured matte ceramic. Marked VDB Kunstporzellan it still has the tag from the factory. She couldn't believe it wasn't the first thing to sell. Neither could I with it's astounding $1 price tag.
Ah, life was good in the land of garage sales this weekend.
More goodies to follow.