Saturday, March 3, 2012

Now I'm Rescuing...

Apparently I now rescue/collect/hoard vintage embroidered pictures.
It started with:
You should have seen the eye roll my husband gave me when I started bidding on these.  I really only wanted the frames.  Figured I'd take them apart and get to painting them into the 21st Century.  But then you look at the needlework:
You consider the effort that went into doing it.  You think, "well I can't just tear them apart. Aren't they a bit of granny chic fun?"   So I resigned myself to painting the frames avec needlepoint roses and hoping that someone else would like them enough to rescue them again.
A few weeks later I was at the auction again.  You know where I'm heading with this right?
No one would bid on the large one and when it got down to $1,  I stopped mid-sentence in my conversation and shot my hand up.  I mean really people, somebody made that.  By hand!
Junque Magnet to the rescue.
And this one:
I was ever so innocently (ha, as if ANY trip to Goodwill is innocent) wandering the aisles at Goodwill when it yelled, positively screamed at me, "RESCUE ME."  Obediently (yes, obediently. That is so how I roll.) I listened.
That is not the original frame.  I liked the one it had although it naturally needed paint.  As I cleaned it the Junque Gods whispered ever so softly in my ear, "you have a groovy aqua painted oval frame in the garage.  You have..."
Out I went.  In a miraculous turn of events I even FOUND said frame.  In I came.  And unbelievably it fit.  Ah, I do so love it when a plan comes together!
And thus begins yet another accidental collection.
What are you accidentally junking?
Linking to:

10 comments:

Into Vintage said...

I 'rescue' these embroidered pieces all the time! All I can think about is the effort that went into making them so I list them on etsy from time to time and they usually sell. I have a ridicuous amount of vintage silverplate flatware that's been accidentally junked as well.

Anonymous said...

You're a hero. Those are beautiful and really did need rescuing.

MessyMerci said...

Nice post.I would've rescued those roses in an instant too. I totally appreciate crewel work, embroidery, cross stitch etc- probably because I would never want to do it but completely love how it looks. Accidental collection- I think I have a playing card collection starting- love the pretty vintage pics :)

Susan Freeman said...

I love those frames too!

Hugs,
Susan and Bentley

craftyles said...

I also pick up vintage needlework. I keep thinking I'll do a project with them-one of these days!

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

Well, at least you're listening to the Junque Gods! LOL

Ruby Fruit

❀~Myrna~❀ said...

They are very beautiful !

Unknown said...

Aha! Another Rescuer....we are now friends stitched together by embroidery threads!!

Sally Annie Magundy said...

Hehe! You cracked me up when you said "apparently I now rescue ..."!

That's so great you rescued those! I used to embroider a lot and good gosh, those would have taken a long time and they look like they are beautifully done. Enjoy!

Happy Rednesday!

JunkStuffTreasures said...

Love your phrasing, "apparently, I now rescue..."! I also find myself in that position- all too often!