Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Shine One Up

Like many of you, I've got a bit of a thing for silver plate.  When the lots come up at auction I find my hand going up.
These were a few rescues from two lots I won a few weeks back.  I was trying to get the double handle champagne bucket but failed.
I love how this ENORMOUS footed bowl is trophy-like.  Not kidding about the size.  She's a centerpiece in her own right!
Beautiful detail on the edge.
Detail on a few others.  One bowl is a thank you from a Greek fraternity (or sorority - I was NOT a Greek girl but you might have already guessed that about me) in the 60s.
This one?  Mine.  ALL MINE.  Keeper for sure.  This will become my new go-to vase and remain long after I've sold the others.  Best of all it was perfectly tarnished and required no additional work (for which my hubs was quite grateful seeing as he was the "lucky" silver polish recruit)!
What about you?  Found anything shiny and bright recently?!
Linking to:
Wow Us Wednesday

8 comments:

outjunking said...

I am digging that big compote. There is nothing that want look a million times better just by being in that bowl. I to am enjoying a pitcher like yours mine is holding feathers.

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

I always gravitate to the silver when I'm at a sale. Love it all and love the tarnish. I have a table full of it sitting in my garage just waiting to get packed away and priced for an antique show this weekend. I know it won't all make it into the box....some will be staying with me:-)

Linda @ A La Carte said...

I have several rescued pieces of silver but haven't bought any in a long time. Your pieces are very pretty! Hugs, Linda

Marsha @ Tattered Chick said...

Ohhhh, lucky you!! Great pieces. Yesterday I stopped by the Goodwill and if I had only gotten there a few seconds earlier, some guy snatched up a real cool silver serving dish . . . ah, next time!!!

Mary said...

Great finds! I've found badly tarnished silver plate in the give-away piles at yard sales. People don't want to bother shining them up, I guess, or don't know that they can.

Laurel@ChippingwithCharm said...

Lucky you...love that big footed bowl...WAY cool :) Laurel

Ivy and Elephants said...

You go girl. Such amazing finds. I am loving the compost. Would you mind sharing this inspirational post at our WIW linky party? Hope to see you there!

Paula
ivyandelephants.blogspot.com

Shabby Brocante, Karen said...

You've found some great pieces. I have been nuts for silver plated items lately as well. There is something so fun about polishing them up and seeing how gorgeous the are. That pitcher is fantastic!